Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I Wish

There is a bit of an age discrepancy between Craig and me. 10 years to be exact. Yes, I'm the older one.

Last Saturday, after the Inter:Play panels were over, we enjoyed the musical stylings of Fundamental Elements. They ended their set with a cover of a song by one of my favorite artists, Stevie Wonder.

I was 8 years old when Songs in the Key of Life came out. My hip and trendy music teacher introduced us to it. She would bring in various pop albums on Fridays. I remember her bringing in Kiss, Kansas, Donna Summer, Hall and Oates. She was tres cool.

One of her favorites was Songs in the Key of Life. This album has such great songs on it such as Sir Duke, Isn't She Lovely, As, and my favorite - the one the band covered.

When the band started the bass line, I immediately knew the song. However, Craig did not. Here's our conversation:

ME: OMG, I love this song! I was 8 when this came out.

Craig: Who is it?

ME: (A bit agog) Stevie Wonder.

Craig: Who?

Me: Seriously?

Craig: I wasn't even born when you were 8.

(I guess I should be glad he didn't say "Isn't that Will Smith's Wild Wild West?")

But by then the lyrics were starting and I sang along - every word. My favorite line - "smoking cigarettes and writing something nasty on the wall. (You nasty boy!)"

So I enjoyed myself, singing and grooving to the band. They did a great job on the cover. I don't have a video of it, but here's the original. Try to resist the jazz-infused funkaliciousness that is Stevie Wonder.

I wish those days could come back once more.

8 comments:

Jill of All Trades said...

I so totally have that album and I was a tad older. Best album EVER!

Marrdy said...

Love Stevie Wonder! My hubby is 24 years older than me and so far we have had few age related issues. But my mother raised me on "her" music so it's been easier. You guys will be great!! Age doesn't make any different after you'r both "grown up"!

Zookeeper said...

I like that one too. Thanks for the groove!

Lynn said...

Love Stevie, too! As you know, I'm the younger one of our couple (by 8years) and I take great pleasure in doing that to Brian. "Oh I love this song. I was in what - 9th grade when this came out. Where were you? Oh yeah, married to someone else and had a kid. Sorry!"

I'm so evil.

Jakki said...

Oh boy...I think I have to get some music out...or at least..GASP...download some.

Zip n Tizzy said...

He might be younger, but who doesn't know Stevie Wonder... Come on!
Me thinks he's a tease.
Age doesn't matter when you have someone who can make you laugh... glad you're enjoying yourself.

Anonymous said...

I dated a guy that was around 9 years younger than me... I wanted to slap him upside the head most of the time for smart ass comments.
Now hubbie is just a year younger.

Classic Stevie Wonder..Now I'm going to go back to your blog page and listen again.

Anonymous said...

Those Stevie Wonder albums were fantastic! I still love them, though I don't know all the song names.

He put out and album a couple of years back that is actually pretty good, too. Nothing has the fire of the early stuff, though.

Fundamental Elements was fantastic, too. The Guild tent was in a nice place! Unfortunately, I only heard bits and pieces of a few bands.