Thursday, September 4, 2008

Vote Early, Vote Often!

There are many things I won't go into on this blog, politics being at the top of the list. Although, I regret that Jessica and Kelli aren't here to see the candidates this year. The winds of change are blowing, you cannot argue that.

However, I will encourage you to vote in the Presidential election. Your vote does count, believe it or not. Sadly, I didn't believe it.

I recently had an interesting conversation with BFF Lynn about the electoral college. (I still say it should be abolished but I digress.)

One of the problems I see with the electoral college is that some people just don't understand the process. I remember last year when Jessica turned 18 and registered to vote, she was a little upset that the electoral college actually picked the President, and not her vote. Because I was misinformed about the electoral college, I wasn't able to tell her that her vote did count. However, after Lynn and I began debating the process, I found this handy and informative website that explained the process. Check it out if you are so inclined.

In a few days, you may notice some billboards on area highways encouraging you to vote. This is one of my favorites. The artist is Tom Huck, from St. Louis. Check out Art the Vote for other billboards.
As my dad says - vote early, vote often. But vote.




7 comments:

Unknown said...

That looks pretty freaking cool! I agree, VOTE! We are already talking about it a ton at our house....Jake has asked multiple times, when does he get to go with me to vote? I think we will have to have a count-down calendar made up pretty soon....

Anonymous said...

We have a split vote in our family..sometimes I discourage my husband to vote so that way I feel that I count..I KNOW I'm so bad.
:-P

Anonymous said...

In Australia it's compulsory to vote. You get fined quite a few bucks if you don't bother. It's bewildering to us when we hear the low figures that vote in America, but then that fine is a pretty serious motivator to get out to a polling booth on election day!!

(Also.... our pre-election stuff only takes 6 weeks. By law. It doesn't drag on for months. I don't know how you guys can stand it!!!)Admoittedly there's always a bit of bickering going on between the parties, but that's about it.

It's interesting how different countries choose to run things, isn't it?

Jaelithe said...

I agree wholeheartedly with this sentiment.

I am trying to register people in my neighborhood who aren't registered right now. I tell people who are hesitant to register, look, I don't care who you vote for-- just inform yourself, and then, JUST VOTE.

Because otherwise things will never change.

Anonymous said...

I love this post ... I too don't blog about politics, but it isn't because I don't have an opinion, it's because I don't want people to devalue it on my site. After all, I'm always right :) But it pisses me off that when others have faught WARS to have a say in who leads the country, we, as a nation, are so "ho-hum" about this right.
Vote people! It really isn't that hard!

Anonymous said...

I love this post ... I too don't blog about politics, but it isn't because I don't have an opinion, it's because I don't want people to devalue it on my site. After all, I'm always right :) But it pisses me off that when others have faught WARS to have a say in who leads the country, we, as a nation, are so "ho-hum" about this right.
Vote people! It really isn't that hard!

Anonymous said...

Apparently, there is such a thing as voting too often. Sorry for the extra comment - freakin' computer told me I was rejected at first. So I got a little over-zealous.

:) M