Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Evil Big Eyed Creature

Tonight I have to pack up Kelli's room. I haven't been avoiding it, as much as I've just been busy with other stuff. However, with our move date coming this weekend, I can't put it off any longer.

The child was a packrat. A very neat and contained packrat. Like all children, her room was clean on the surface. Dig deeper and be amazed at what you find.

I gave her bed away, and when we moved the mattress and box springs, there was a treasure trove of junk under her bed. Oh look, Kelli, here are your green flip flops you couldn't find, along with broken pencils, your pink Nikes that you swore you left at someone's house, and an industrial size roll of toilet paper - I don't even want to know what your plans were with that.

I opened her dresser drawers, just to see what I was up against. Mostly socks and t-shirts, but in one drawer that were about a frillion notes passed among her and her friends. Those are pretty fun to read. I also found her headband with the Christmas reindeer antlers - I miss seeing her wear those around the house, shaking her head to make the bells jingle. She had a shamrock version and an Easter rabbit version as well. She loved the holidays.

I did take down her JoBros posters, and I felt horrible about doing it. Maddy salvaged some of them and made a collage.

What I like finding are the little random sketches she would make. She was so artistic and creative. Before I throw them out, I flip through her notebooks and school papers, hoping to find little doodles that make me smile. This is one of my favorites. When she made this, one of her favorite sayings was "What's the big idea, Bub?" which is written on there. I can hear her saying that to Maddy.






13 comments:

Sh. said...

How adorable! Sounds like she must've had an amazing personality! Wonder who she inherited that from..:)

Anonymous said...

LOL! I love the "Kim Dorkey" in the top left corner.

Lynn said...

Love it, hon. Kirstin still has little cartoons they collectively drew (usually Maddy and Tori were the targets of their humor in those) on her bulletin board.

I too loved the Kim Dorkey :) You must have been being "mom" that day!

Anonymous said...

I noticed the Kim Dorkey thing too! haha!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like David's room. But instead of big eyed monsters he draws dragons and fire.

Have to go back and look for Kim Dorkey now...

Anonymous said...

This is one of those moments where words escape me. I can't imagine cleaning all the "stuff" up in their rooms.

It also makes me wish I didn't get so frustrated with the mess in my kids' room!

This was a great post.

Nancy R said...

Ohh, that wallpaper sound like the terror that was renovating our first home. The previous owners had the last name of Dawson, and whenever we came across something stupid (painted over wall-paper, chair rail sloping down the wall,etc.) we called it "The Dawson effect".

Nancy R said...

Aaannd, I posted this comment on the wrong entry! HA!

The doodling is funny - I think I would have a hard time not pack-ratting it.

Anonymous said...

I saved all the drawings and notebooks and poems, and I love getting them out every once in a while and reading through them all, It makes me feel close to her again.

Lisa said...

Been thinking of you ALOT this holiday season.

Evil Big Eyed Creature. Very cute and creative.

Zip n Tizzy said...

Sounds like she had her mother's playful spirit!
I hope you keep some of those.

MaLeah said...

I like the cartoon and the descriptions of things you pulled out from under her bed was hilarious. I am especially curious as to the "industrial sized roll of toilet paper". Maybe that will come in handy in your new, no longer retina searing pink, wall paper-free bathroom at your new house?! With all the junk under her bed, I'm surprised the "evil big eyed creature" wasn't lurking under there too, real live in the flesh! :)And, Kim Dorkey? That's priceless!! She could have called you much worse, I guess. ha.ha.

Marrdy said...

How cute is that picture and what a treasure for you to find even if it says Kim Dorkey!