Saturday, July 18, 2009

Whipping It Up Week 3

The theme this week was "Hometown Favorites." I had big plans for this week and then I got busy with my daughters' fundraiser, and next thing I know it's Saturday night and I'm running to the grocery store.

At the store, I passed by a display of homegrown peaches from a local orchard. I love peaches. They taste like summer to me. I remember spending summers with my grandparents in Texas, and going to my great-aunt's house to pick peaches. After dinner, my Mammaw would slice them up in aluminum pie pans, and we'd sit outside on the front porch in the dusk, listening to the Rangers ballgame on the radio, eating peaches still warm from the sun, and drink iced tea.
I must stop this reminiscing, because I'm drooling on my keyboard.

*blots*

I decided that Peach Shortcake would be our dessert tonight. The recipe, as invented by me tonight in the produce section, is as follows:


5 peaches
1 container peach glaze
1 angel food cake
Whipped cream or whipped topping, if you like



Slice the peaches and cover with glaze; refrigerate for about an hour. Slice the angel food cake, top with peaches and a dollop of whipped topping.

Was it easy? Quite.
Did it taste good? Oh my yes.
Will I make it again? As long as the local peaches are in season.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Rebecca said...

Man, I miss those local peaches! I haven't quite figured out the Texas peach scene yet. I've got some leads though. :)

Jill of All Trades said...

Oh yummy, yummy, yummy. I served a bowl of strawberries and sweet peaches this week to friends. Summer in a bowl.

Anonymous said...

why oh why would you put that corn syrup glaze on fresh peaches?!?!!?

Marrdy said...

I have a friend who makes a killer peach pie...now I must have some today!

Anonymous said...

WTF? Is anonymous studying to be a "recipe critic?" Maybe a judge on Top Chef? Since when does some idiot write into a blog to criticize an effin' recipe? Anon, get a life and give me a break!