Friday, October 30, 2009

You Should Write a Book

NaNoWriMo is short for National Novel Writing Month. Your mission, should you accept it, is to write a 50,000 word novel during the month of November. That's 1,666.7 words per day, for those of you keeping score at home.

Some of you may have heard of NaNoBloMo, which is the easier challenge of posting on your blog every day for a month.

I had heard of NaNoBloMo and thought about doing that, but wondered if it was something I would really want to do. Post every day? How hard is that? But I believe in quality over quantity, which is one reason why my posting has been so sporadic lately. I didn't want to post for the sake of posting.

So, I have commited to writing the novel. Ironically, I have had the outline of a story banging around in my head for quite a while, but never could get it out of my head and onto the page, so to speak. This challenge has given me the mental kick in the butt that I needed to tell myself, "Self, we're gonna do this."

I wasn't going to tell anyone until I was done, but then I figured I'd be more apt to finish this challenge if I had people asking me how it was going. So, surprise! I'm writing a book.

The challenge is still open, if you'd like to join me in writing a novel, or just posting every day. Visit the links above to sign up.

This should be interesting, on many levels.

6 comments:

melody said...

I am doing this for the third year, and if being a full-time writer I can't accomplish it, then lord am I in trouble

middlesex said...

I love to read and write both ....but i am little scare...because its my first novel writing....

Wontorski@sbcglobal.net said...

I just ran across your blog on here and am blown away by your strength. You are an incredible woman. You have been through so much yet keep such a positive attitude. This was very inspiring to me today. I was not looking to find your blog, it just kind of popped up and turns out it was just what I needed today.
I will use your story as my inspiration today. Thank you for sharing and keep smiling, you very much deserve it!

Unknown said...

Good for you!

This is the first year I'm not doing NaBloPoMo...mainly b/c I got burnt out after 3 years.

I fully support your novel writing goal. GO FOR IT!

MaLeah said...

Oh how fun! I would love to read it!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.