Monday, March 29, 2010

Fondue Be Dooby Doo

After a horrendous week of emotional ups and downs, I was finally feeling a little better on Friday. While discussing dinner and weekend plans with the husband, I decided I wanted cheese. Melty, gooey, hot, delicious cheese. Yeah.

How I, a lover of cheese, retro kitsch and kitchen gadgets, managed to forget to add a fondue pot to our wedding registry is beyond me. However, Target came to my rescue with an electric fondue pot for $30. I then spent close to twice that on ingredients for cheese and chocolate fondue.

I'm still working on my cheese fondue concotion. For the cheese fondue, I simmered a sauvignon blanc, added some garlic, then added shredded emmentaler and gruyere with a shake of nutmeg. The nutmeg did nothing, so I added garlic powder, which improved it a bit. For dipping, I cubed a loaf of french bread, tossed it with melted butter and garlic, and toasted it.

It wasn't bad, I guess I was expecting something with more flavor. I used high-end cheeses and wine, so maybe that was the problem, it was too fancy for my Kraft cheese and low-cost wine palate. If you have a cheese fondue recipe, send it my way. I'm looking forward to trying different recipes.

The chocolate fondue was amazing and received rave reviews. I warmed 1/2 cup fat-free half and half, a tablespoon of butter, two teaspoons of pure vanilla extract until the butter melted and it just started to bubble. Sous-chef Maddy chopped up a 4 oz bar of Ghiradelli 70% cacao, and a 4 oz Ghiradelli milk chocolate bar, and we added those, a little at a time, stirring until they were melted. We dipped pears, oranges, pound cake, and marshmallows. Oh my heavens it was delish. We will probably have the leftovers warmed and poured over pound cake slices for dessert tonight.

Six hours until dinner. Six hours and fifteen minutes until dessert. I hope I make it.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Okay...I will admit...I am a lurker. I haven't ever really commented before, however, I will speak about cheese! Mmmm...how I wish I had some fondue right now!

I have used this recipe on several occasions and find it to be quite delicious! It's very easy and uses what I call "normal" cheeses...which might be just what you are looking for. http://www.recipezaar.com/Melting-Pot-Swiss-Cheddar-Fondue-210658

I have made it using just a garlic powder in lieu of the minced garlic (mainly because I forgot to buy it at the store) and found it to be just as delicious...and I didn't have to chop!

Jill of All Trades said...

Oh my I'm hungry. I am a huge cheese lover but not too much on the fondu thing. May have to try this though.

Annie said...

Gah, pears dipped in chocolate? My life may be complete.

Unknown said...

This might not have been the best post to read at 10am...because now I'm starving and all I can think about it CHEESE and CHOCOLATE.

My Dad's side of the family always did fondue on New Years Eve when I was a kid, man I just love it.

Nancy R said...

I created a great cheese fondue a couple of years ago after visiting the melting pot and listening to our waiter describe everything he was putting in the pot...but I didn't write it down. I DO remember him telling me that if you're making it at home to toss your shredded cheese with a little flour because it melts better - and when I made it at home I just used shredded Kraft from a bag.

I do think you could have skipped toasting the bread, and apples, mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, and celery are good dipped in the cheese too.

I have a page torn from and old Family Fun magazine with a recipe I've never tried:

Mexican Cheese Fondue:
3T butter
3T flour
1/8 t. garlic powder
2/3 C half and half
1/2 C chicken broth, plus more to thin the sauce if needed
1 1/4 C shredded Monterey Jack (about 5 oz)
3T mild salsa

Melt the butter in a small saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and garlic powder until blended. Then whisk in the half and half, and chicken broth. Continue to heat the mixture until it thickens and starts to bubble, about 2 minutes. Reduce heat to low.

Gradually add the cheese, stirring until it is melted. Stir in the salsa. Transfer the sauce to a fondue pot and set the flame to keep it warm. Add chicken broth a little at a time, as necessary, to achieve the consistencey you desire.

Serves 4-6

Anonymous said...

Try taking your marshmallow dip them into chocolate then roll in rice krispies. Graham crackers crunched works too